Friday, July 4, 2014

Crater Lake and Klamath Lake

We're nearing the end of the epic road trip! Today we drove from Portland up to Crater Lake National Park, and from there on to Klamath Falls. 

By the time we reached Crater Lake, I was mumbling to myself that it was just another lake and maybe we should just head on to Klamath Falls and stretch for a bit instead of rushing to see *another* lake in the mountains. As we drove in and looked at the pamphlets, I wondered why they bothered to write about how blue the lake looked.

Until we reached the lake. This trip has been one of revelations for me, especially about how nature works. Crater Lake has been formed in a caldera - a crater left after a volcanic eruption that just took off the peak of a mountain. More interesting trivia: Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the US. The lake lies at quite an elevation - there was still snow (albeit hard, icy and very dirty) along the slopes, although it was a very hot day - and is the deepest, loveliest shade of blue that I have ever seen (in the context of lakes). Take a look at this!





S and I also discussed what a dialogue between us and the lake might have been:

Us: "Oh, hi. Words fail me. I cannot find adequate adjectives to describe you. I think I'll just stand afar and stare."
Lake: *Cold silence. Not worth responding.*

We headed over to the cafe for lunch....to see the place practically flooded with Indians (I mean Indians and not native Americans). Wherever you go, other Indians will be there before, along with and after you. Strength of our population, and all that.

We finally left Crater Lake a couple of hours later, heading towards Klamath Falls. Turns out there's a much larger lake, Klamath Lake, in the vicinity.


Our road trip is almost at an end. We head towards Mount Shasta - our final stop - and then home tomorrow!

1 comment: