Friday, December 5, 2014

San Diego Zoo

The San Diego zoo is world-famous. The zoo's website explains that it houses over 3,700 animals of more than 650 species and sub-species. Popular literature suggests that it is huge, and difficult if not impossible to finish seeing in a day.

As an animal-lover, I was keen to go visit this much-hyped zoo. Unfortunately, it did fall a little short of my possibly excessive expectations. There were a number of interesting animals, and I loved watching the koalas eat their breakfast, watch the Tasmanian devil sleeping like an oversized rat, and see a kangaroo struggle to stay awake like a night watchman doing a third shift in a row.





There was a grizzly bear trying to beat the heat in water. The polar bear reminded me of a certain adorable labrador I know (Cyber), but couldn't bother to open its eyes to see the gawking humans. As opposed to a Malayan bear which was busy playing with a barrel/toy.





The meerkats were frisky!



Christmas is almost here! Rudolph should wake up and go help Santa!



And of course there were the usual apes, monkeys, tigers, elephants, giraffes, zebras and so on.






S and I finished seeing most of the animals in the zoo in about three to four hours! I'd like to think that that was because we're really fit, can walk really fast, and have keen observation skills to spot animals that quickly. The reality though, is that the zoo was probably not as big as we expected it to be. Except for one cable car/shy tram ride across the zoo, we walked to/from most of the other regions of the zoo, comfortably. There was also the fact that so many animals were sleeping in the sweltering heat.

Yes, sweltering heat. San Diego is extremely hot, even in winter! Perhaps not every day, but when it's hot, it is ridiculously hot. I didn't think it necessary to use sunscreen or wear a hat, but I did pay the price for that - I had a mild heat stroke that day! Considering that I've lived in Chennai and Hyderabad without that happening, I think San Diego is not to be taken lightly. So if any of you visit, keep a hat handy!

No comments:

Post a Comment